Based in Online, Everywhere
31 October, 2017
In the American Southwest, a lone witch hunter travels across the desert, seeking to wipe out cultists of all sorts. Fight a variety of goons and ghouls, through small towns to dimension-spanning motels. Inspired by DOOM, Quake, and action games of yore, blast your way through a neon-dripped, pixelated nightmare in this high-speed, high-thrills FPS.
Forward Instinct decided to make Midnight Ultra their first toe-dip into the massive pool of online digital game distribution, starting development off of an old prototype. Midnight Ultra draws from Twin Peaks, the team's roadtrips across the southwest, and the urban malaise of Los Angeles. The game started development early October of 2017, narrowly hitting their release date of October 31st, AKA Halloween! Following that, the team released a bundle of fixes as well as 4 new levels, a new boss, 6 new enemies, a plethora of new themes, and 2 new weapons in The Devil's Path DLC, available as a free update.
- No recharging shields: you'll need to play smart or find healthpacks to stay alive. You're not invincible, after all.
- Wild Weird West: features an acidic western soundtrack, composed just for Midnight Ultra!
- Choose a melee weapon and a ranged weapon of your choice: mix and match, choose between chopping and blasting your enemies down to size.
- Change how the game looks to fit your taste: unlockable color palettes change how Midnight Ultra looks entirely. BONUS: Halloween color palette unlocked at start!
- Double jump and dodge your enemies: your fast and nimble feet will let you leap across levels, over enemies heads, and between platforms.
- Moody and surreal story: not everything is at it seems, and the physical trappings of reality aren't always guaranteed...
- Short and sweet: 2-3 hours of gameplay content, for busy players looking for quick fun.
The Devil's Path Trailer YouTube
Release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Pick of the Week, Unknown Pleasures" Rock Paper Shotgun, 31 October, 2017
- "A gorgeous FPS that blurs a Hotline Miami palette with a grindhouse art style, a Quake-in-CGA aesthetic and a general vibe of lucid divebar nightmare, this was one that made me sit up and pay attention from the very first frame... The enemies are nasty in all the right ways, the weapons are straight out of some forgotten b-movie and the music sounds like that nightmare sex room out the back of the Roadhouse bar in Twin Peaks... Genuinely, this feels both like a lost early 90s treasure and a real 2017 original."
- Alec Meer, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Here’s an FPS with an interesting, albeit garish, retro sensibility... I think we can all agree that using a pentagram and crucifix as a reticule is insanely good and worth the price alone."
- Shaun Prescott, Tom Marks, PC Gamer
- "With grimy low-fi graphics and a vibrant color palette, Midnight Ultra is packed full of style and great shooting to boot."
- IGN Snapchat, IGN
- "If you’re a fan of the surreal, yet hilarious, Machete films by Robert Rodriguez, you’ll love Midnight Ultra’s beautiful grindhouse art style. The mix of classic gunshot sound effects and western background music will tease out your inner cowboy."
- Chris Priestman, PCGamesN
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Available for free from Los Angles https:.
Midnight Ultra Artbook
33 Page Artbook showing the making-of Midnight Ultra, complete with concept art and photography https:.
About Forward Instinct
We love making weird and eerie games with innovative aesthetics and rock solid, fun mechanics. Typically, our games usually come from unexamined niches, landscapes, characters, and points of view to facilitate intriguing stories and art direction meshed with gameplay from our favorite classic games and experimental, bleeding edge design.
More information on Forward Instinct, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Midnight Ultra Credits
Lead, Artist, Designer, Programmer
Video Art, Writer